Thursday, November 27, 2008

Lucky


I was on my way to meet a friend for breakfast at the Country Patch coffee house but decidedly made a detour to the pet shop to get some fresh aquatic plant for my fishes in the studio. Was looking around the shop and was admiring the little 'Nemo' fishes (okay, I have no idea what is the correct name for this little cuties but I still think they are gorgeous) when something else caught my attention. There were two tiny terrapins in a huge fish tank. One was on it's back and wasn't moving. The other perched on a wooden plank and was dry as burnt lobster. And yes, being an ICU nurse came into reflex action, I cried out to the shopkeeper and said, " Have you been looking after the terrapins? Do you know one of it is probably dead?" The guy looked at me as if I was a mad woman on hot wheels. He lifted the one on it's back and true enough it was dead.

The other one was barely moving and looked as if it was dried out. The shell was super soft and I was nearly in tears. I bought him at full price regardless and rushed to the studio. I set him in a small porridge bowl and called him Lucky. I don't know whether he'll survive or not, but better something then trying nothing at all.

I called Peter up, who was still asleep at home, " Peter, get to the studio, you need to babysit Lucky. I found him in the pet shop and he doesn't look well. Please come!"

"Have you had too many coffees again? You're talking strange."

I was even more worked up after," Look, he doesn't look well. I need you to come over and give him some tender loving care. I need to meet up with a friend for a while."

" ..............you should be named Lucky and for me to be crazy to say yes to this."

"....(in my head, I was thinking...I know) I know..."

I told Elaine (my cousin) to keep an eye on it while Peter made his way to the studio. While having breakfast with my friend, I couldn't stop thinking about Lucky. After breakfast, I rushed back to the studio. He was looking a bit better.

Cross fingers, little lucky will be lucky to see through the week.

No comments: