Friday, July 10, 2009

The Power of Kindness


Who is this Swami "Baba" Ramdev? I didn't even know who this supposedly 'swami' is, untill he made headlines about homosexuality being a congenital defect. I find his comments on 'yoga cure' obnoxious and egoistical. He apparently has millions of followers and preaches about yoga being a cure to all fatal diseases. It's a very strong and bold statement to make. It does make me wonder if yoga truly cures all things, then why are people still dying? Won't his claims be proven if it did happen and if it did happen, won't doctors all over the world get patients, even the terminally ill, on yoga programmes worldwide diligently?

I have friends from different backgrounds, different religions, different races and different characters. They are all amazing human beings to me, regardless of their sexuality. Why would any one individual be condemned just because of 'who' he is? Who are we to judge? That's the problem with the world today, we judge and we blame, the word 'kindness' is taken for granted and forgotten. I have always believed that a man's faith and goodness is not based on how loud he shouts out about his love for God but how quietly and humbly he stands before the poor and misfortunate, gives them all his worldly possessions and that of himself.

In 2006, the following comment from Swami Ramdev drew the wrath of media and some political activists:

"I am a follower of penance, sacrifice, non-violence and truth. But I am also a follower of revolutionaries. I live a simple life. I don't do what everyone else does. But I believe that the freedom of our country is because of the sacrifice of martyrs. If somebody says that the country achieved independence without arms, without bloodshed, I believe that is an insult to the country's martyrs."—Swami Ramdev, 2006 (His comments on Mahatma Gandhi)


...What has violence resulted over the years? 'Niente!' Repeated bloodshed and lost of lives are the only achievements from wars. Really if he is a true 'swami', he would have known the 8 limbs of yoga well enough not to make such comments.

I think yoga can be a help to people's lifestyle, I don't dispute it, but I don't believe it's the only answer, if it is, the path to higher realm is definitely an easier path to take.

Even as a teacher, I look for answers in all religions and races, and each of them provide me with abundance of spiritual attainment. If you took our skin away, won't we all look the same underneath?

All I know right now, at this very moment, is the power of kindness is the key to plenty of things, if used with wisdom and without judgement.

Like the Dalai Lama's philosophy, his motto,"My religion is kindness"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"a man's faith and goodness is not based on how loud he shouts out about his love for God but how quietly and humbly he stands before the poor and unfortunate, gives them all his worldly possessions and that of himself."

Good one!

Candy

jac said...

Thanks Candy...